Languages are very important to us. We use them to communicate verbally or though sign language. There are over 7.000 living languages today. These include languages we are using on a daily basis, dying languages, developing ones and so forth. To create a language, you only need patience and imagination. Languages have been created in our times to be used in movies and books, such as Avatar and The Lord of the Rings. The Eleven in Tolkien’s books was created years ago and more and more people are using it. So what if you want to create your own language?
If you want to create your own language, this will help you get started:
How to create your own language.
- The first thing you need to do is name your language. This is important because the name will give you an idea of how the language will be.
- After that you will need to figure out how to pronounce your language. Think about how you will want it to sound and record yourself. That way you won’t forget the sounds. It is important to come up with sounds that are not too hard to reproduce, as other people might be using it.
- Time to create the alphabet of your language. You can take the hard way and use symbols or pictographs like the Chinese language. Each symbol will have to have its own sound. Another option is to use an alphabet or syllabary. Modern languages use this. Create the symbols that will mean letters or syllabels, each with their own sounds. An easier method is to use an already existing alphabet and simply change the words to mean different things and also how they look or sound. You can even combine several alphabets to make your own.
- Create the vocabulary of your language. An easy way to do this is to take a dictionary and simply copy the words there and translate them into your own, newly created, language. Try to make the words so that they are easily pronounced.
- Now it’s time for the grammar rules. An easy way to do it is to simply copy them from your native language, but to stay original, try and change them or create new grammar rules altogether. For example, when it comes to making the plural for nouns, try and be original. Most languages add a suffix, but you can do anything you want, like adding a prefix or making a new version of the word to be the plural.
- Start conjugating verbs and set the tenses for them. This is not necessarily a tricky part as it is your language so you can put any rules you want. The main tenses should be kept though so as to not create confusion.
- Write sentences in your language and tweak where it necessary.
Remember to take notes of everything as you will need to change them at times. Once you’ve set all of that, you should start practicing and share it with your friends or other people.
Why would anyone want to create a new language? If you take a look at the evolution of languages, most of them are merges of different languages or dialects and simply came to be over generations because people were using words in a wrong way and others followed. Creating a new language from scrap has been done to accommodate certain needs, such as a parallel universe.
Hope this will help a script writer to add more depth to the world they created.